May 12, 2016
The summer weather is here, and the question at the tip of every tongue is, "What are we going to drink?"
Lucky for you, I have a few suggestions!
We are all familiar with both Red and White Sangria (recipes below), but Spain has so much more to offer when it comes to wine-based refreshments. Two of the most popular drinks are mostly unknown outside of Spain, but I'm here today to let you in on the secrets they have been keeping.
The first, and most popular, is a drink I became very familiar with when I was lucky enough to travel around Spain during my stint living in Europe (2006-2008). Kalimotxo (also spelled Calimocho and pronounced 'Cali-moat-cho'), is a 50/50 mix of cheap red wine and cola. The cheaper the wine, the better - the sweetness of the cola balances out the harshness of the wine, almost as if they were made to be paired together. This mixture is poured over ice, and if you're really fancy, garnished with a slice of orange/lemon/lime.
My first encounter with this drink was from a Spanish roommate in university, but I didn't really believe it was popular until I experienced it first-hand.
The second of these Spanish mixes is Tinto de Verano (literally "red [wine] of summer"), and is strikingly similar to the recipe above, but with a slight twist. This thirst quencher uses a combination of red wine and Sprite or 7-Up with a slice of lemon as garnish. I find this blend a bit more palatable, and always hits the spot on a hot day.
Whatever you choose to drink this summer, Urban Vintner has a perfect wine for it.
All these recipes pair perfectly with our Spanish Tempranillo - just $125 for a batch of 30 bottles if you mention this post when you order.
White Sangria (mix and serve over ice)
- 1 Bottle of white wine (Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Riesling, Gewurztraminer, Viognier, or Pinot Gris)
- 3 oranges (sliced) or may substitute 1 cup of orange juice
- 1 lemon (sliced)
- 1 lime (sliced)
- 2 oz. brandy (optional)
- 1/2 liter of ginger ale or club soda (ginger ale for those with a sweeter tooth!)
- 2/3 cup white sugar (to taste)
Red Sangria (mix and serve over ice)
- 1 bottle dry Spanish red wine
- 1/2 apple, cored, skin on, chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 orange, rind on, sliced into small pieces, large seeds removed (plus more for garnish)
- Any and all berries or other fruit you have on hand (optional)
- 3/4 cup orange juice, plus more to taste
- 1/3 cup brandy, plus more to taste
- 3-4 Tbsp brown sugar (to taste)
- Ice to chill (1 cup)
Front and center at the Running of the Bulls in Pamplona with my kalimotxo